Sunday, August 7, 2016

New month......new (to me) stuff!

Thought I would make a concerted effort to keep up with the blogging  - I spent some time the other day looking back over past posts and it was interesting (well to me anyway) to see where I have been and what I have been doing over the past few years....I think I started my blogging journey about 8 years ago!  Some things change....some stay the same!  I found projects started and finished and forgotten about, projects started and still not finished.....and a lot of projects to start on ....one day!  

So since I last wrote......not much has happened in the sewing room, although there was a start AND a finish last Sunday when this happened....another book pillow from Allison Harris' book Growing Up Modern...this is for the son of friends and I am looking forward to catching up with them soon.......was really happy with the way this turned out!


I have been making steady progress on a project from Gail Pan's book Patchwork Loves Embroidery......the stitcheries are done and I am sure it won't take long to put them together complete the wall hanging......(define "take long") :)




It has been hard to get out into the garden to do any weeding  this winter....can't blame it all on the weather, I actually don't like gardening very much so I can find some really good excuses NOT to get out there...!  But with the bit of sunshine we had last weekend the weeds galloped away so it was time to do something about them....I was pleased with my efforts though, and noticed that the trees are getting ready to greet Spring....and as much as I love winter, I also enjoy seeing the change of seasons reflected in the garden.....

Getting ready........

Almost......

...and there is always an early bird!......over-achiever?


The weeping wattle is shaping up to be spectacular in a few weeks.....


So to the "new to me stuff".......

I am very lucky to have friends who buy "stuff" and sometimes when they have surplus to their requirements they also sell "stuff" ......so this is my "just because" gift to myself.....I have wanted one of these little gems for a long time......

....and here she is from just about every angle......





What is even more interesting is that the original receipt is in the book......July 1953 (also the year of my birth.....) .....the purchaser was a Miss Browne and she paid 58 pounds 10 shillings for her Singer Portable Electric Sewing Machine No 221K1 - For Family Use.  Quite a lot of money for the day! (probably equal to around $2,000 (?) today)......I love that Miss Browne paid by cheque - obviously a woman of some means and independent too! 

I wonder as I sit at the machine just what Miss Browne was like! 1953 wasn't really that long ago..(if I keep telling myself that it will be true) ....perhaps she is still sewing on a new Bernina or the like!


the machine was delivered yesterday and a couple of the girls could make it for lunch and a spot of stitching....whilst I was very aware of the black box that had arrived with my friend I had quite a distraction in the form of Lenny who arrived to spend the evening with Granny.....he seemed to be quite taken with the machine as well...can't start them too young I say!


Rose is still a little unsure of Lenny so took up a position at my feet (on the footstool) to make sure she had a good vantage point to check him out.  Lenny on the other hand seems completely oblivious to Rose...surely a dent in her substantial ego!


Rhiannon was with me for the evening and we very much enjoyed having Lenny in our clutches for a few hours while Mark and Terri went out to a football club function!

Off to catch up with a dear friend during the week......adventure aplenty I am sure!

'til next time................Lorraine

10 comments:

Chookyblue...... said...

Yes we have been blogging for a long time now....
The weeds have taken off here in the last week here too......
Love your new toy and nice to see your got the bubba for some time......

Katie said...

Congratulations on your new sewing machine!

It’s been so hot here winter sounds good right now. Spring even. Just not mid-summer. Oh well. I can stay in and sew. :-)

Sue SA said...

Gorgeous baby and sewing machine, but think that the original owner is no longer sewing, otherwise why would you give up this beauty!

Deb R said...

Ohh what a lovely pressie!! I think we always get ourselves the perfect present!! Your stitcheries are cute and I'm sure they will be finished soon...Nothing better than a cuddle with a little one, have a great week x

Daisy Jayne said...

Weeds ... I spend Sunday out pulling the darlings out and for each one I pulled out another two popped up somewhere else.... nice little black box and to have a bot of history with it a bonus... nothing better than spending time with the little one... cuddles and more cuddles

AnnieO said...

Lovely catchup, Lorraine! Old and new is a good way to mix up creativity! Lenny is a darling!

Susan said...

My blogging is a little less regular too, but it is lovely to look back on the posts, events and projects. Love you new little treasure. looks like Lenny will become an expert!

Kath said...

Oh I have series Grand-baby envy! It was nice to get your news Lorraine and see your lovely machine. I have it's hand-cranked cousin.

Lounging with a Latte said...

What a special present, awesome that it has all the history of its life! I'm sure you will enjoy it. Lenny is a cutie, I'm sure grand children cause blogging to take a back seat sometimes!!

Unknown said...

Your Affiliate Money Printing Machine is ready -

Plus, making money with it is as easy as 1..2..3!

Here are the steps to make it work...

STEP 1. Tell the system which affiliate products you intend to promote
STEP 2. Add some PUSH BUTTON TRAFFIC (this ONLY takes 2 minutes)
STEP 3. Watch the affiliate products system explode your list and sell your affiliate products all for you!

Are you ready to make money automatically??

The solution is right here